Hedley has withdrawn their name from Junos consideration this year but will continue to tour while under fire for allegations of sexual misconduct.
The B.C. pop-rock act was up for three Juno awards and was slated to perform during the show, but was dropped following a number of allegations circulating online that claim the band engaged in inappropriate conduct with underage fans over the years.
“In the coming days – and throughout this current tour – we intend to take responsibility, and talk about how we have let some people down, and what we intend to do about it,” begins a statement released by the band on Monday.
“That starts right now. As a band, we have decided to withdraw our name from consideration for any awards at the Junos. We do not wish to be a distraction at Canadian music’s biggest night or to, in any way, take the focus away from the tremendous honour that is the Juno Awards.”
None of the claims have been independently verified and no one in the band has been charged with a crime.
The band said it would, however, continue to tour. Hedley’s Cageless tour is scheduled through February and March.
- B.C.'s Hedley cut from Junos lineup over allegations of sexual misconduct
- Hedley hammered as social media accusers take aim at music industry
Last Monday, posts on Twitter began to appear, alleging band members Jacob Hoggard, Dave Rosin, Tommy Mac and Jay Benison had engaged in inappropriate behaviour with teen girls during post-show interactions.
The band then released a statement that called the allegations “unsubstantiated” and that they had “not been validated”, but which also acknowledged “certain rock and roll cliches” of their “unconventional” life as a touring band.
Just hours later, the Junos organizing team said the band had been removed from the program’s list of performers.
A few days later, their opening acts Neon Dreams and Shawn Hook both announced they would not be continuing to tour alongside the band. Hedley’s teams at Watchdog Management and the Feldman Agency also announced they were dropping the group from their roster.
Hedley’s songs were also scrubbed from airwaves, as a number of radio companies including 130 Bell Media, CBC and Corus said they were banning the band from their rotation and libraries.
In Monday’s statement, the band said its reference to a “rock’n’roll lifestyle” in its initial statement wasn’t an adequate response.
“Saying a rock’n’roll lifestyle was to blame – or saying certain things happened because we were younger – isn’t good enough. We owe it to our families, our crew, our friends – and most of all, our fans – to do and be better.”
–with files from Canadian Press